There's never a wrong time to enjoy a slice of my best chocolate chip banana bread recipe. It's an explosion of mouth-watering banana and chocolatey goodness! Who can resist!? It's perfect for afternoon tea, snacks, and desserts. And the best part? It's very easy to make and all in one bowl!
Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
This chocolate chip banana bread recipe uses pantry staples and is a great way to use up those overripe bananas sitting on your kitchen bench.
Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe Ingredients
- 3.5oz | 100g butter - Soften the butter to room temperature for effortless mixing.
- 1 cup sugar - Use baker's sugar (caster sugar) as it has an ultra-fine grain and mixes more evenly than coarser granulated white sugar.
- 2 large-sized bananas - This recipe calls for about 2 large-sized overripe bananas, equal to 1 cup of mashed banana. Before adding the bananas, mash them in a separate bowl to avoid big chunks of banana in your batter.
- 2 eggs - Bring your eggs to room temperature for this recipe.
- ¾ cup milk - Use regular dairy milk or substitute with plant-based milk.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract - Vanilla will enhance the flavor of the bananas and chocolate. Banana + chocolate + vanilla = yum!
- 1 cup chocolate chips - Feel free to use any chocolate chips you like - milk, dark, or even white chocolate! You can also sprinkle another ¼ cup over the top just before baking.
- 1 ½ cups flour - Use all-purpose flour for this best chocolate chip banana bread recipe.
- 2 teaspoons baking powder - This will help aerate your banana bread.
Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe Easy Instructions
Here are the step-by-step instructions for how to make chocolate chip banana bread:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F | 177°C. Use cooking spray or grease a 9-inch x 5-inch (23cm x 12cm) loaf pan and line it with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, with either a handheld or stand mixer, combine the butter and sugar and whisk for 2 minutes or until well combined.
- Add the mashed banana, eggs, milk, and vanilla to the butter-sugar mixture.
- Beat on low for another 30 seconds.
- Add the chocolate chips and gently fold by hand through the mixture.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the batter and gently stir with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula until just combined.
- Transfer the batter to the lined loaf pan. Bake in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until a skewer or toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Rest for 5-10 minutes before removing from the pan and cooling on a wire rack.
Why is my Banana Bread Not Moist?
- DON'T OVERMIX - Be careful not to overmix the batter, as this can overdevelop the gluten in the flour and make the cake tough and dense. Instead, gently fold the flour through the wet mixture with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- OVERRIPE BANANAS - Over-ripe bananas taste sweeter and give your banana bread loaf more moisture.
- SIFTING - Sift the flour to help add air to the batter for a fluffy and spongy baked loaf.
Let me get this straight; there's nothing wrong with the basic ol' chocolate chip banana bread recipe loaf or even the classic banana bread recipe. But chocolate chip banana bread can benefit from add-ins when they are the right ones! I mean, bananas and chocolate are already full of flavor, so you need to be particular about what you choose to put in. We don't want the flavors to fight each other, do we?
- Chocolate chip banana nut bread recipe - Add crunch and extra richness by adding different types of nuts to your wet ingredients batter. Nuts and chocolate are such a classic combination. Use chopped walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, or almonds. Gosh, my mouth waters just thinking about it! You can also add 1 to 2 tablespoons of homemade peanut butter to the batter for extra oomph.
- Coconut - Ah, coconut! Coconut gives some tropical freshness and unique richness to your homemade banana bread recipe. It'll taste like a vacation! Simply add ½ cup of unsweetened shredded coconut for every cup of flour. You could also replace the butter with an equal amount of coconut oil to amp up the coconut aroma and goodness.
- Spices - Add ground cinnamon, nutmeg, or ginger for extra warmth to your dry ingredients. A pinch of each spice is enough; otherwise, you will overpower the banana and chocolate flavor. Candied ginger is also a great add-in; warm and somehow nostalgic. Mix in ⅛ cup of chopped candied ginger for every cup of flour.
- Dried and Fresh Fruits - Dried berries (raspberries, cranberries, blueberries) are great for adding texture to your easy chocolate chip banana bread recipe. The sweetness and tartness work harmoniously with bananas and chocolate. Add ¼ cup of dried fruits for every cup of flour. You can also add fresh blueberries or halved strawberries as toppings. Not to mention that your moist chocolate chip banana bread will look very fancy. Definitely a head-turner!
- Banana bread with white chocolate chips - It's not classic banana bread, but white chocolate chip banana bread is a winner! My mom loves white chocolate, so this is the version that I always make for her.
Frosting Ideas for your Banana Bread
Chocolate ganache - Use chocolate ganache to frost the top of this best chocolate chip banana bread recipe for extra richness and decadence.
Cinnamon buttercream frosting - This deliciously spiced cinnamon buttercream will transform your best chocolate chip banana bread recipe into a special dessert-worthy treat.
Butterscotch sauce - Drizzle the warm butterscotch sauce, from my sticky date pudding and butterscotch sauce recipe, over a warm slice of banana bread. Oh, so delicious!
Cream Cheese Frosting - Cream cheese frosting adds a deliciously fresh topping to banana bread.
Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe - Variations
Here are some other variations to adjust my moist banana bread recipe with chocolate chips to your preference:
Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
Eggs - Substitute the eggs in this delicious banana bread recipe with a vegan-friendly powdered egg substitute, available from the gluten-free section of grocers.
Milk - Replace dairy milk with a plant-based type of milk.
Butter - To make this moist chocolate chip banana bread recipe a vegan recipe, you can replace the butter with an equal amount of vegan butter or vegetable oil.
Chocolate - Don't forget to substitute regular choc chips, made from milk solids, with plant-based chocolate chips.
Gluten-Free Banana Bread With Chocolate Chips
Replace the all-purpose flour with any gluten-free flour to make gluten-free chocolate chip banana bread. If your flour doesn't contain xantham gum already, add 1 teaspoon for every cup of flour. The xantham gum is not a must, though - If you don't mind crumbly banana bread, you can leave the xantham gum out.
Recipe for Banana Muffins With Chocolate Chips
Simply pour the best chocolate chip banana bread recipe batter into a muffin pan to make chocolate chip banana bread muffins. Don't forget to line the pan with paper cups beforehand, so the muffins don't stick! Sprinkle some chocolate chips over the top of each muffin, then bake for 20 minutes at 350°F | 177°C or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
Alternatively, check out my 2 banana muffin recipe for quick and easy baking.
Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
You can substitute the all-purpose flour with an equal amount of whole wheat flour to make a healthier banana and chocolate cake.
To cut back on the amount of granulated sugar in your banana bread, use honey instead. Honey can replace sugar at a 3:4 ratio. So, as this recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar, use ¾ cup of honey instead.
Types of seeds such as sunflower and pumpkin seeds are also good ingredients full of fiber to fold into the batter to make a healthier and easy banana bread recipe. Don't forget to sprinkle some over the top of the banana mixture batter just before baking for extra crunch and to make the loaf look fancy!
What to Serve with the Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
This one bowl chocolate chip banana bread makes a perfect dessert. Serve a slice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, greek yogurt, or whipped cream. Top with fresh berries, granola, or chopped almonds, drizzled with chocolate ganache or butterscotch sauce. (Drooling…) You can serve chocolate chip banana bread with anything, really. The options are endless, so go crazy!
This best chocolate chip banana bread recipe also makes a great indulgent snack. Spread a healthy amount of Nutella on a slice, or make peanut butter and jelly toast, perhaps? For a healthier option, you can serve this chocolate chip banana bread with sliced fresh bananas.
How do you Store Banana Bread After Making it?
- Room temperature - Can you leave freshly baked banana bread out overnight? It is fine to leave freshly baked choc chip banana bread out overnight. Simply place the loaf into an air-tight container, and leave it on the kitchen bench for up to 3 days.
- Fridge - Does banana bread need to be refrigerated? No, it is not necessary to refrigerate this banana and chocolate chip cake. If you do want to keep it in the fridge, pop the loaf in an air-tight container and into the refrigerator. This will extend the shelf life of the loaf to one week.
- Freezing banana bread - Definitely! This best chocolate chip banana bread can last up to a few months in the freezer. That's why I always make two or three batches and keep them on hand in the freezer. To freeze, cut your banana bread into serving pieces and either wrap them individually in plastic wrap or store them in an air-tight container with baking paper between each slice so they don't stick together. To defrost, leave a slice at room temperature or pop a frozen piece in the microwave for 30 seconds. Enjoy!
More Sweet Treats Featuring Bananas and Other Fruit
- 2 banana muffin recipe - Easy muffin recipe that your family and friends will love!
- Apple cobbler - A warming winter old-fashioned dessert featuring apples, cinnamon, and a crunchy scone-like topping.
- Sticky date pudding - An easy-to-make date pudding with a decadent butterscotch sauce using pantry staples.
- Brown sugar banana bread - This banana bread recipe using brown sugar is easy to make and super delicious!
Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe FAQs
Are Overripe and Black Bananas Good for Banana Bread?
It depends on the blackness of your bananas! Overripe bananas with spotty skins are, in fact, the best type of bananas to use for this banana bread chocolate chip recipe. They're sweeter and easier to mash.
How do you Make Mashed Bananas for Banana Bread?
Peel the bananas, cut into rough pieces, and place them in a bowl. Using a fork, mash the bananas until they are soft and mushy. At this stage, the mashed banana should resemble the look and texture of baby food. This will give you the best banana bread recipe with the right texture when baked.
Can I Make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread with Frozen Bananas?
It is best to defrost your frozen bananas before making chocolate chip banana bread. Simply leave the frozen bananas on the counter until they are defrosted. Or, speed up the process by zapping them in the microwave for 30 seconds. You can also transfer the bananas into a heat-safe air-tight plastic bag and submerge them in warm water for 5 to 10 minutes or until they're soft.
What Happens if you Put Too Much Banana in Banana Bread?
Don't be tempted to add more bananas than the recipe states, as you may end up with dense and wet chocolate chip banana bread. Instead, freeze the leftover overripe bananas for baking on another day.
To ensure that you put the correct amount of mashed bananas into your recipe:
- How many cups is 2 bananas mashed? - Two large-sized bananas will make about 1 cup of mashed banana.
- How many cups is 4 mashed bananas? - Four large-sized bananas will make about 2 cups of mashed banana. Note: As bananas vary so much in size, these amounts are approximate, and you may need more or less bananas.
What Happens if you Put Too Many Eggs in Banana Bread?
Eggs give the batter of this banana chocolate chip cake recipe structure and stability. If you add too many eggs to the batter, the ratio of ingredients will change, and it may result in banana bread that is dense and rubbery.
What Sugar to Use in this Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe?
- Which white sugar is best for this best chocolate chip banana bread recipe? Baker's sugar (caster sugar) is the best for this recipe as it has ultra-fine grains and mixes well into the batter.
- Are white sugar and brown sugar interchangeable? White and brown sugar are interchangeable in this banana bread homemade recipe. Simply substitute the 1 cup of white sugar with 1 cup of brown sugar.
- What happens if you replace white sugar with brown sugar? - Using brown sugar instead of white will give your easy to make banana bread loaf an extra toffee-like flavor and darker color.
- What else can I use in this best chocolate chip banana bread recipe if I don't have white granulated sugar? - You can use other types of sugar, such as coconut sugar. No sugar at all in your pantry? You can use honey instead. As honey is sweeter than sugar, use ¾ cup instead. Or experiment with other sweeteners such as date paste, maple syrup, or golden syrup.
- Can I make this best chocolate chip banana bread recipe with less sugar? You can use ¾ cup sugar instead in this best banana loaf recipe and still get a sweet-tasting choc chip banana bread. Another way to use less sugar but still amp up the loaf's sweetness is to add other sweeteners, such as fresh and dried fruit.
Can I Use Oil Instead of Butter?
Oil and butter in banana bread are completely interchangeable at a 1:1 ratio in this banana chocolate chip recipe. Personally, for this recipe, I prefer butter for extra richness. But, of course, you can use vegetable oil if you prefer, and you will get a lighter texture to your banana bread.
To maintain the classic taste, use neutral-flavor vegetable oils. My go-to for baking is canola oil, but I also like to play around with other oils, such as coconut oil. The coconut undertones really suit some recipes like this one.
Why is my Banana Bread Not Moist?
- Why does my banana bread keep coming out dry? - If you use too much flour, your banana loaf bread may come out dry. Always stick to the quantities specified in the recipe and use a measuring cup.
- How do you keep banana bread moist? - Don't overmix the batter to ensure a moist and fluffy banana loaf bread recipe every time. Also, use overripe bananas to help make your banana bread moister.
- Why is my banana bread dense? - Overmixing the banana bread batter can lead to a dense and rubbery baked loaf. The secret is to fold the flour through the batter until you just see the last whisps of flour disappear. No more.
- Why is my banana bread so wet? - Using less flour than the recipe specified can lead to banana bread with a wet texture.
- Is banana bread meant to be gooey? - No, this easy banana bread with chocolate chips recipe is not meant to be gooey. A gooey texture means that the loaf is undercooked. If this happens, put the pan back into the oven to bake further. To ensure that the banana bread is completely cooked, insert a skewer into the center of the loaf and check that it comes out clean.
- How do you keep banana bread from getting soggy? - Let the banana loaf cake cool in the tin for 5 to 10 minutes at the most, and then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely. If you leave the loaf in the warm tin for too long, the bottom will become soggy.
- Why is my banana bread so wet and dense? A dense and wet texture can be from using too many bananas. If you have lots of overripe bananas, peel and chop them into pieces and place them in a zip-lock bag for baking on another day.
What Should Banana Bread Look Like When Done?
The top of the banana chocolate chip cake should be deep golden brown in color. The best way to check if your banana bread is cooked is to insert a skewer into the center of the loaf and check that it comes out clean.
How do you Keep Banana Bread Moist After Baking?
First, rest your banana cake with chocolate chips for 5 to 10 minutes. Then, remove it from the pan and let it cool on a wire rack for 2 to 3 hours, or until completely cooled. Ensure your banana bread is cooled to room temperature before putting it in an air-tight container. Any warmth left will create condensation that can lead to soggy banana bread.
How do you Keep Banana Bread Fresh?
- How do you store fresh baked banana bread? - Store the fresh banana bread in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- What is the best way to wrap banana bread? - There is no one best way to wrap your banana loaf chocolate chips. The options include using: foil, reusable beeswax wrap, plastic wrap, parchment paper, an air-tight plastic bag, or a paper bag.
- Should you wrap banana bread in plastic wrap? - You can use plastic wrap if you like. My preference is to put the whole banana bread in an air-tight plastic container. This way, the loaf is kept fresh, and the container can be washed and reused.
- Can you wrap banana bread in foil? - As foil isn't as airtight as plastic wrap, use a couple of layers to wrap around the banana bread to keep it fresh.
- Is it better to wrap banana bread in foil or plastic wrap? - Neither option is better, just different. I try to use as little plastic wrap as possible, so reusable or recyclable options are always my first choice.
- Can you wrap banana bread when it's warm? - Do not wrap the banana bread when it is still warm. This will lead to soggy banana bread! Instead, let the loaf cool down completely before storing it.
Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
- 9-inch x 4.5-inch (23cm x 12cm) loaf pan
- 3.5 oz butter, room temperature 100g
- 1 cup baker's sugar caster sugar
- 2 large-sized bananas, mashed 1 cup
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup chocolate chips for on top optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F | 177°C Lightly grease a 9 x 5 inch (23 x 12cm) loaf pan. Line the bottom and sides of the pan with parchment paper.
- Add the butter and sugar to a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, on medium speed, beat for 2 minutes until well combined.
- Add the mashed banana, eggs, milk, and vanilla to the mixture. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Make sure you scrape down the sides of the bowl a couple of times.
- Add the chocolate chips and fold through with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula. Sift in the all-purpose flour and baking powder to the batter and gently fold it through until just combined.
- Transfer the batter into the lined loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a skewer poked into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Rest the loaf for 5-10 minutes before removing it from the pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe - In Conclusion
Now that you've got everything you need to know to make the best chocolate chip banana bread recipe ever, you just need to get baking and make a loaf for yourself and your loved ones! Happy baking!